 Robotics / 11452
11451  |  11453
Subject:
Carlsbad LegoLand report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 03:39:36 GMT

My son (8yo) and I made the pilgrimage to LegoLand in Carlsbad,
California.  It's pretty impressive.  The rides are fun, even though
they have little to do with Lego, really.  They're Lego-themed, but
that's all.  Still, 8 is the perfect age to go to LegoLand.  A little
older, a little younger, both fine, but 8 is the target age.

There was a pair of buildings for building lego things, but really,
that's something you could do at home.  Why pay to do it at Legoland,
unless you just want to try out Mindstorms before buying it.

Miniland, and the boat tour (which you need to ride to see some
models), are really the Lego highlights of the park.  They have models
of New York City (including a nodding Statue of Liberty), San
Francisco (and the rest of the California coast on south, including
the Ruby's on the pier on Newport Beach, which we ate at on the way
down), New Orleans, Washington DC, and an unnamed New England Seaport.
The boat tour shows you the Sydney Opera House, the Taj Mahal, and the
Eiffel Tower.

On the negative side, some of the Miniland moving parts weren't
moving.

The Big Store was, big, as promised.  Most of what it sells, though,
is Lego-branded items.  Personally, I feel like a few TRU's I have
visited had a larger selection.  And in particular, I was hoping to
buy some Znap, however not only did they have none for sale, but the
sales clerks had almost no idea what Znap was.  I talked to Guest
Services, and they suggested that the company might have sold TRU the
exclusive right to sell Znap.  So I went to the local TRU and got my
Znap there.  :)

All in all, it was worth a visit.  Or two, maybe.

--
-russ nelson <sig@russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country