 Robotics / 1145
RE: iMac IR drive RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 02:48:17 GMT

No, the Palm III and the HP handheld don't do IrDA.  They do something more
like consumer IR, which is why they can be used to control the RCX.
Standard PC IrDA ports (like the kind found on most laptops) operate
differently (different timing/frequencies/etc), so it would be rather
difficult to make them work.  I'm not saying it's impossible - just very
difficult.

Incidentally, this is a subject that is very close to my heart, as I own two
Windows CE devices, and they both have IrDA ports.  I sure wish the
designers of the RCX had done things right and used IrDA - it *is* a
broadly-implemented standard in the computer world, after all.  Also, I wish
the port on the back of the IR tower wasn't so narrow, so I could fit a
standard serial cable in there.  What were they thinking?

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Speed [mailto:pspeed@augustschell.com]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 1998 5:09 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: iMac IR drive RCX?

The Palm Pilot supposedly uses the same kind of IR as a
computer.  It had to be hacked to act like a learning remote.
I believe they use higher frequencies in IR-da to simulate the
different older protocol.  If that's true, then the option is
also available to PC ports... someone just has to take the time
to do it.

I really wish that the software for the Palm Pilot was
more generalized.  I'd really like to be able to write programs
for my Palm Pilot that could interact directly with the RCX.
Then all I have to do is build a cradle for my Palm Pilot into
all of my robots and I'd have some more powerful processing
capabilities.

-Paul

Matthew Miller wrote:

John Cooper <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
I have seen reports of Palm Pilot and HP handheld working, also a • learning
IR remote has been succesful. I'm not sure where I saw it, possibly RCX
Internals (http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/) or a link from • there.

Right, but all of those aren't standard computer IR -- they're functioning
like learning remotes.

--
Matthew Miller                      ---> • mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                       --->