 Robotics / 10987
RE: Worm gear box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 23:39:21 GMT

I have instructions for the build it yourself wormgear box at:
http://www.marsrobot.com/fourtread/fourtread.htm as part of a larger
four-tread design.

You can also find examples at:

http://members.home.net/cmagno/technics/
and
http://207.236.16.161/JinSato/MindStorms/mtr/mtr-021.html

Using the two technic triangle panels has proved to be the most versatile
construction for worm gear mounting that I have tried.

Rich Thompson
http://www.marsrobot.com

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Doug Weathers
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 3:38 PM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Worm gear box

in article 38C50360.DA7@nidlink.com, John A. Hern Jr at
lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote on 3/7/00 5:25 AM:

I believe I've seen a gearbox housing that holds a worm gear set more
efficiently than building one up with beams and blocks.

There's a couple of them now - a rectangular one and the one that's part of
the Throwbots.  Also, you can make a very sturdy one with triangles and
sleeve/bushing pieces.

The square gearbox, part number 6589:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/gear/gear_8.html

The Throwbot gearbox is a Y-shaped deal made out of two pieces that fit
together around the worm gear.  The arms of the Y have holes for an axle
with a gear on it.  You can use either 24 tooth or 40 tooth gears in it.
One cool feature of the Throwbot gearbox is that the bottom of the gearbox
has half a 24-tooth gear welded to it.  You can stick this "gear" into
another Throwbot gearbox.  You can stack them indefinitely, in fact, to make
a sort of scorpion tail thing.

Pictures (just of the Throwbots - you have to study them to pick out the
gearbox piece):

http://members.spree.com/jgabriel/throwbots/throw.htm

The build-it-yourself gearbox is really slick, too.  I can't find a good
picture of it right now - sorry.  If you have the space shuttle, the
alternate model (the sub) uses this gearbox to raise the nose door of the
sub.

Does anyone know the part number of this gearbox housing, and where you
can order it?   Or, what kit has the most of them in it?

I got the square gearbox in the Tread Trekker, set 8229.  Here's a picture
and review of it.  Nice source of rubber treads, too.

http://www.adequate.com/lego/reviews/Details/66.html

Thanks,

John.

John A. Hern Jr.     1900 Millview     Coeur d'Alene, Idaho  83814
mailto:hern@nidlink.com          Dipl.Ing. Mechanical Engineer
Foundry: http://www.nidlink.com/~fouronkey
Greyhounds: http://www.greyhoundpetsinc.org
Personal: http://www.nidlink.com/~hern