 Robotics / 10864
10863  |  10865
Subject:
Motor output signals.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:54:12 GMT

Each RCX motor output is very straight forward.

Each motor channel has a two output circuits, one for each side of
the motor. These outputs can be set to be either 0 volts, 8 volts
or floating, ie; not connected, under firmware control.

When the motor is "Off", both outputs are grounded, shunting the
motor and creating the dynamic braking effect.

When going forwards or in reverse, one output is grounded, the
other is powered to 8 volts.

When in "Float" both outputs are off and motor can freewheel.

When the power setting is not "full", the outputs are pulsed
between powered (either forward or reverse) and the float state.

The overall period is 8 milliseconds, divided up into 1 millisecond
intervals. The power setting value you select controls how many
milliseconds out of the total of 8 the motor is powered for, ie;
1 - 8 (where 8 is full power on all the time).

I hope this explains how the outputs work. If you have any futher
questions, please feel free to ask. I have studied the RCX in
some detail.

I have used the pulsed output to control all sorts of external
devices, but I think the 1 millisecond timing is a little too
fast to catch with the cybermaster sensor input routines. You may have
to implement your own serial communication protocol to transfer
information over such a connection. I would be surprised if you
could get better than a few tens of bits per second. You could
try a motor on the output of the RCX driving a motor as a generator
on the input of the cybermaster. At least that way you avoid your
fear of a direct connection! And you could watch the serial data
going bit by bit from one device to the other! Just remember that
the motor generator will only convey data in one sense (when it is
connected to generate a positive input.) Negative inputs will read
as raw zero.

JB