 Robotics / 10799
Re: Build your own laser-emitting brick!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 02:06:21 GMT

At 04:48 PM 2/22/00 -0800, you wrote:

I just finished building a laser diode into a 2x4
brick. The parts cost about $20 total. If you're
interested in how it's done, check my web page:

   Very nice.  One other thing you might want to mention on the web
page: In many cases the lens assembly also functions as a heat-sink
for the laser diode.  While the whole assembly will only get mildly
warm, even in a sealed enclosure, removing the diode from the lens
assembly will probably cause it to overheat, potentially damaging
the diode, the brick, or in the extreme case even starting a fire.

   I used to work for a company that made laser-diode based products,
and it was my experience that even most low-power diodes used in
laser pointers and the like generate enough heat to fry themselves
without an adequate heat-sink, so in jockeying everything around to
fit in the brick, people will need to be careful not to break the
thermal connection between the diode and the lens assembly.

http://www.blueneptune.com/~maznliz/marius/rcxlaser.shtml

-SMQ                        Shawn Menninga                smq@dwarfrune.com
"Well I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five years now, doctor, and I'm
   happy to state I've finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd, Harvey