 Robotics / 10770
Re: Visual Basic and RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:47:48 GMT

Hi Pete,

I agree. When I first started playing with my RCX, I had planned on using NQC.
I use C++ and Java at work, and I've been using C since the early 80's, so NQC
seemed to be the right choice. But for the things I want to do, I discovered
Visual Basic really is a much better solution. I'm not saying NQC is a bad
language. It's not. But once I had a clear idea of where I wanted to go, I saw
that NQC wouldn't get me there and Visual Basic would.

The creation of objects on the PC side really simplifies both my code and how
I think about organizing that code. ActiveX objects have allowed me to write
programs in a dozen or so lines that would be hundreds of lines in a language
that doesn't support objects. And VB allows me to write those reusable
components easily and quickly. It makes the code easier to read and easier to
modify. Its very LEGO-like in its structure. It also allows me to connect to
any ActiveX object there is. And when you realize that things like Excel,
Access, Internet Explorer, and MS Agent are ActiveX objects, you find you have
a lot of power at your disposal.

If that type of coding sounds like what you're interested in doing with your
robots and you're using Windows, there really is no equal to Visual Basic. It
offers programming power that rivals C++ or Java, a quick development cycle
that rivals a scripting language, and the easiest access to ActiveX there is.

David Leeper (likes diversity)

In lugnet.robotics, Pete Sevcik <sevcik@flash.net> writes:
I have used visual basic to create a sensor test panel.  It was extremely easy
and fun.
I don't know why people are biased against it.

Does or has anybody in the group used Visual Basic for programing the RCX.
I see a lot of LegoOS and NQC but nothing on Visual Basic, Why?

--
Pete Sevcik     sevcik@flash.net
Techno-stuff Robotics