 Robotics / 10482
Re: Rotation sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 13:58:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, j.troelsen@tu-bs.de writes:
Hi !

I am trying to make a gray code rotation sensor using hardware from an old
mouse.

The circuit needed to drive the photo transistor should be the same as for
your rotation sensor URL: http://www.umbra.demon.co.uk/sensor1.html.
I do however don't quite understand the photo resistor driver part. Are You
sure the circuit drawing is correct ?

Thank you in advance for your answer
The circuit shown, is rather basic, but perfectly acceptable. The
phototransistor draws a varying amount of current according to the incident
light level. During the 'sense' phase of the Lego cycle, the voltage being
returned is read, with the wires disconnected from the 'power' drive, and
instead connected via a 10k resistor to +5v. The phototransistor and it's
resistor pull the level down, allowing a reading to be made.

Best Wishes