 Robotics / 10382
Re: Robotic Ants [Challenges for multiple robots]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:41:37 GMT

Michael,

I've been thinking about ant trails too. It's seems to me that the RCX would
not be a good trail laying creature. But what it is good at is using the IR
port.

A robot could drive along and possibly store it's trail in a map. When it
found its "food", it could send out an IR message to summon other robots. The
robots could follow the IR light as a homing becon. Or, using a messaging
system that can send big messages, like RoboCall, the first robot could send a
map on how to reach the food.

David Leeper (thinks the RCX's chemical signal is really IR light)

In lugnet.robotics, "Mihalka, Michael" <MihalkaM@marshallcenter.org> writes:
David,

This looks great. Many thanks! Now to build a colony of robotic creatures.

However, I think an interesting challenge would be to come up with tasks
that require two or more robots to complete. Laying a sense trail to the
food might be one such.

Michael

David Leeper wrote:

Here's a table of the methods a typical ant colony uses for
communication, an
how similar results could be done on the RCX.

[snip]