 Robotics / 10349
RE: Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:47:55 GMT

At 16:21 27-01-2000 -0800, Jim Thomas wrote:
Uh, not to be too picky but...
Ok, now for the Positioning system debate. Just one word: *Ants*
They're blind. The advantage they have is chemical sensors (smell).
I think they use a mix of "(chemical) line" following and
landmark system
(or line node recognition)
There was a program on learning channel or discovery that went into great
detail about ants.  It turns out that they are not blind.  Apparently they
have some sort of polarized light vision which actually lets them do
directional navigation -- the view towards the poles looks different than
the view towards the equator.

WOW!!!! (if it was on Discovery, I missed it :( ...argh)

Ok, so, there's a usefull use for a low resolution Compass Sensor !!!!!!

On another note...  Two interesting things I remember from the show.  1)
There are spiders which emulate the ant's chemical ID so they can walk about
and eat them at will and the ants have no clue.  2) When a scout finds food
it runs back to the nest, picks up another ant on its back and carries it to
the food and then repeats the process until enough ants are involved that a
line is formed -- "show me" navigation at work.

LOL, ok, I'll buy some 60 RCX's to implement that kind of navigations ;)

errrrrr.... well... one could use the ancient (lego) brick trail technic,
being dropped behind the bot. If the container of bricks is empty, the bot
get's back to it's home, gets some more bricks, follows the trail until the
end, and continues :>  ...so there's an adaptable, removable (lock your
pets!!!), little-landmark + line-following technic, ehehehe

Marco C. aka McViper