 Robotics / 10288
Re: Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:38:52 GMT

I think the solution is to replace the girlfriend and paint the designs on
the floor.

;)

--Doug Wilcox, whose most gracious wife has let him run string permanently
across one room of the house for development and showing-off of a trambot.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carsten Müller <spirou@jumper.org>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 10:42 AM
Subject: Positioning

Hello,

I think about a little robot, which is able to move around a 'normal'
room/flat and always knows where he stands. The current version of my
robot is able to detect the speed and direction he is moving. But as
everybody can imagine, the error grows and the accuracy of the position
fades away. Now i think about using 2 or 3 IR beacons in conjunction
with a custom IR Sensor to determine the actual position of the robot
inside the room

Now my question:
Has anybody played around with triangulation or are there other
suggestions in how to calculate the position of the robot. My girlfriend
insists, not to paint rectangular shapes on the floor. So I thought of
another solution.

regards Carsten

--
"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
all the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore,

     -IBM maintenance manual, 1925