 Robotics / 10195
Re: The Differential and One-Motor Turning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:57:25 GMT

I did some reading...  I think the "adder-subtractor" name must come from the fact that the output to the two wheels is (A+B) and (A-B).  This is a pretty cool assembly...

Another cool one I read about that involves differentials went something like this:  Ratchet each of the axels coming out of the differential in opposite directions, so that when the motor runs forward one axel turns, and when it runs in reverse the other one turns.  This way you can "split" a motor to do two separate tasks.  Of course, only one can go at a time...  But with the 3-motor restriction, this might be a trick worth having in your bag.

-kennep

From: "Philip Ogston" <ogstonpj@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 05:06:07 GMT

Differentials are spiffy, huh?  Even better, with two differentials you can
make a device known as an "adder-subtractor" which allows one motor to drive
two wheels at the same speed, in the same direction, and another motor can
drive the wheels in opposite directions.

[...]

-Phil
ogstonpj@worldnet.att.net

P.S. "Adder Subtractor, what's that got to do with it?" I hear you ask...
Apparently this device was originally used in mechanical computers and adding
machines.  You see, if you put motors on the wheel axles and wheels where the
motors were, one wheel spins at a rate which is the sum of the motor speeds and
the other spins at a rate which is the difference.  So now you can be a
mechanical engineer _and_ a computer scientist.