 Robotics / 10097
Re: My robot exploded
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:54:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Paule writes:
The other day I was carrying a nearly-complete robot from one room to another
when I accidentally dropped it - on a tile floor. The thing exploded into
hundreds of perfectly undamaged individual pieces, which went every way
possible. It even made a great noise.

This sounds like what happened to the robot I built to race around on a table
top without falling off...  It hit the carpet a few times just by backing off
when it got into a corner, and once or twice because it saw the edge but didn't
have enough traction to stop.  The best one was when it sailed off at full
speed because it failed to distinguish the end of the tabletop from the old
monitor sitting below it, so it drove right onto it at full speed.

Luckily the light sensors that were on the leading edge survived it all.  I
figured they deserved it, since they sucked at identifying the tabletop so
much.  I really need to order or make some good IR range detectors.

--Ben