 Robotics / 10038
Re: Ping-Pong Ball Shooter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:20:45 GMT

I prototyped a catapult design several months ago that used two motors to
"cock" and fire/launch a rubber-band driven ball-launcher.

The loading/firing sequence was something like:
1) load ball on catapult.
2) power motors in reverse at low power for n seconds
3) power motors in reverse at medium power for n more seconds
4) power motors at full reverse for n more seconds
5) launch by powering motors at full in the forward direction (the motors
and rubber bands work together at this point.)

Steps 2-4 help avoid losing the loaded ball.
By carefully playing with the rubber-band geometry, I was able to "tune" things
so that the the motors in reverse at full power could barely overcome the rubber

bands and maximize the energy delivered in launch mode.

More motors and rubber bands should give more distance/oomph.

I constructed the catapult arm and ball-holding basket from technic axles in
order
to reduce the mass of the arm & basket.

I wasn't entirely satisfied with this design, since the catapult arm was
relatively long
(not lending itself to mobile cat-attackers) and auto-loading of the balls
seemed
difficult without a lot of bulky support structure.

The WordMeister wrote:

Hey, Dave, good to hear from you ...

Do you want me to forward all the Ping-Pong shooter messages so far?

I've thought about a catapult, but it presents some engineering
problems--but this is worth exploring; I've seen catapults over and over in
pictures and advertising and whatnot from TLG. The slingshot might work
(although it has some interesting issues as well), but both would be too
large, I think, to make practical. I've also thought about a rotary sling,
such as the one David used to kill Goliath.

Since I have 4 motors, I'm going to stick with concurrently developing the
circular batting device (my first design), and the wheels-as-accelerators
device (my second design). I think both are viable after some more
tinkering.

--Doug