 Robotics / 10036
RE: Ping-Pong Ball Shooter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:23:09 GMT

The motors included with the RIS have flywheels, that might help a bit (but
you might need to gear it up some?).  You could also put some of the
"bicycle" wheels on the shaft with the beam to add some inertia.  It is
funny how something as light as a Ping-Pong ball can stall a motor when
using a lever arm that big moving that fast... but if you think about it,
you can feel when you hit the ball hard with a paddle.

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Osborn [mailto:fozztexx@fozztexx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 2:49 PM
To: The WordMeister
Cc: Lego Robotics List
Subject: Re: Ping-Pong Ball Shooter

The other thing I played around with was attaching a 1x16 beam
directly onto the older faster spinning technic motors.

I powered the motor straight off the train regulator, and holding
the motor in my hand when it got up to full speed, I'd bring the
beam near a ping pong ball. That really got some major distance,
but boy did it ever stall that poor little motor.

That's about as far as I got on that experiment, cuz I couldn't
figure out a way to keep from stalling the motor on impact.

---
Chris Osborn                      FozzTexx Enterprises
707 226 7629 - Voice              2136 Coronado Ave.
707 581 1797 - Fax                Napa, CA 94559
<fozztexx@fozztexx.com>           <http://www.fozztexx.com/>