 Robotics / 10029
Re: Ping-Pong Ball Shooter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:45:27 GMT

Very clever mechanism. I can't wait to get home now ...

--Doug Wilcox
-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Osborn <fozztexx@fozztexx.com>
To: The WordMeister <dwilcox@wordsmithdigital.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: Ping-Pong Ball Shooter

On Jan. 12 00, 12:21 PST, "The WordMeister" <dwilcox@wordsmithdigital.com>
wrote:

What other mechanisms have been tried or could be tried? Just
looking for some additional design inspiration and ideas. I'd like
to try a pinball-plunger-type mechanism, but haven't figured out
a good way to build it and motorize it yet.

Tried a plunger type thing, didn't work well, it had little power
cuz I wasn't able to pull it back very far, and when I put bigger
rubberbands on, it just tore itself apart.

What I did that worked ok was to put a 1x6 beam onto the side of
a 40tooth gear so that it swings. I then put another peg on the
gear and tied the beam to the peg with a rubberband. When the gear
rotates, there's a bar that the 1x6 beam runs into. As the gear
continues to rotate, the beam is bent backwards and the rubberband
is stretched more and more. Eventually the gear rotates so far that
the beam slides forward off the stop, and smacks the ping pong
ball.

This only gets a few feet of distance.

---
Chris Osborn                      FozzTexx Enterprises
707 226 7629 - Voice              2136 Coronado Ave.
707 581 1797 - Fax                Napa, CA 94559
<fozztexx@fozztexx.com>           <http://www.fozztexx.com/>