 Robotics / 10010
Re: Lego Solar Panel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:18:01 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tim Klein writes:
I searched for info on the Lego solar panel listed in the new Pitsco catalog,
but didn't see any posts about it. Apologies if this inquiry has already been
made...

Has anyone had a chance to try one out yet? Does the panel generate enough
current to power more than a single device? Better yet, can this panel power
the RCX?
Played with one at a local school a while ago.
No. It develops about 100mA at 3V, rising in very bright direct sun. You would
need three in series to get enough voltage to run the RCX, and depending on
what current you wanted to draw, probably several in parallel.
You can power an RCX from a solar cell, look at the units sold for 'float
chargeing' batteries in caravans and boats. A lot larger than the Lego unit,
(usually about .6m*.3m, and some are available that give 9v.

Best Wishes