 Publishing / Photography / 325
324  |  326
Subject:
Looking for new digital camera recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 22:14:17 GMT

Hey all,

Well, I'm ready to take my Olympus D-360L out into the street and smash it down
on the concrete like Ron Silver did in the beginning of "Reversal Of Fortune"
with his cordless phone.

I'm hoping I'll get a new digital camera for my birthday in July (as I've
certainly made no secret of my loathing for my current P.O.S. camera!).
However, I'd like to get some recommendations from those who have equipment that
has met or exceeded their expectations.

First, let me describe my photographic environment:

-Lego room with north-facing window that gets no direct sunlight

-BayLTC spec table with sea foam green tablecloth (should I get a white one?)

-Two 500 watt incandescent lights

I know sunlight is the best, but the balcony at my apartment is narrow and does
not afford the room I'd need for detailed setups.  I'm also not very keen on
lacquering up with sunblock every time I want have a photo session!

I want a camera that can do the following:

-Take extreme close-ups

-Has image stabilization

-Has manual control of most of the major functions

-Switches between functions quickly

-Uses a storage media that will not be obsolete (SmartMedia sucks!)

-Will ultimately provide me with pictures that will need very little
manipulation

I have Photoshop, but I never use it since it's the kind of program one needs to
attend night school to understand!  I've been using Irfanview, which has all the
functions I've ever needed.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

David Simmmons