 Publishing / Photography / 279
Re: camera advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:48:02 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
I just bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-P32 (there is no way my budget could
stretch to anything more, plus I got this one at a discount).

Anyone got any tips for using this camera to photograph lego? (the manual
says you can go as close as 10cm to the model so hopefully that will be enough)

Jonathan,
We bought the DSC-P5 (also 3.2 megapixel) after Christmas 2001 (Love it!)
If you want additional memory keep an eye on Buy.com's "Today's Deals"
They were selling the Lexar MS128 - Flash Memory Stick - 128MB for $29.99 with
free shipping this past weekend (now back up to 39.99). I can fit 92 full-size
images on 1  128MB Memory Stick... if I shoot any MPEG which eats up memory
quickly (GMLTC train shows) I am glad to have an extra card available.

Tips:

1 - Use a tripod to steady camera especially when shooting closeups.

2 - I try to shoot MOCs outside when possible, there is no glare from flash or
yellowish cast from indoor lighting. I try morning or afternoon for interesting
shadows or any time of day when it is overcast.

3 - Always shoot at maximum size 2048x1536, then resize a copy to 640x480 pixels
and 72dpi rsolution in a photo editing program before posting to BrickShelf. I
prefer to use Adobe Photoshop Elements though the MGI PhotoSuite which should
have come free with your camera will do everything you need to too. I like to
tweak Brighness/Contrast and Levels and often use the Sharpen filter to make
details pop.

4 - I try to overexpose up to +1.0EV when the MOC has a lot of black to capture
details or underexpose -0.7EV if there is a lot of white or if shooting on a
bright day. I keep my menu cued up at EV because I am constantly changing my
exposures on the fly.

5 - Be sure to have have Macro mode (the little "flower" icon) selected when
shooting closeups. I can get very sharp photos of standing Minifigs filling the
frame top to bottom wich is plenty enough for me.

6 - Settings specific to the Cyber-shot for shooting LEGO
Focus: Auto
White Balance: Auto
Spot Meter: On
ISO: Auto or 100
Image Size: 2048x1536 (QXGA)
Picture Quality: Fine JPEG compression
Record Mode: Normal
Flash Level: Low when shooting closeups indoors, Normal for Train Layouts
Picture Effects: Off
Sharpness: +2

Feel free to email me any specific questions  :)

Examples of my photography can be seen at:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=TooMuchDew
--
Bill
(TooMuchDew)