 Publishing / Photography / 270
Re: can someone tell me how to make my photos come out better?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:35:59 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, Adrian Drake wrote:
In lugnet.publish.photography, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
My camera is:
Concord EyeQ Duo LCD
1.3 megapixels
2x digital zoom
9.9mm f/3.2
flash
the manual says its "focus free from 4 feet to infinity"

Some additions to what Chris said.

Not all light is created equal.  I used to flood my models with incandescent
light bulbs, which would put a very heavy yellow tinge on my pictures.  When I
moved to my new build space I put up natural light fluorescent fixtures, and it
made an amazing difference.  If you can, find yourself some small fluorescent
light fixtures and get for them the best quality "white light" or "natural
light" bulbs you can find.

This is the difference that good light can make:

http://www.brickfrenzy.com/images/ground/firebrand/dcp01993.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tremor/Ground/podcycle/dcp02563.jpg

Both of these were taken with the same camera and the same settings. The first
upstairs with incandescent bulbs as the main light source, the second downstairs
using flourescent light.  I believe I did a small amount of brightening with
Paint Shop Pro on both images, but otherwise they're untouched-up.

Second, and most likely the biggest problem, is that your camera is just not
designed for taking pictures of Lego models.  It sounds like it's primarily for
portraits (no optical zoom, no macro mode).  Those two features are almost
required for taking good quality digital pictures.  The macro mode lets you get
extremely close (mine focuses within an inch or two of the subject) and the zoom
allows you to keep the camera far enough away to keep most of it in focus and
still get tight details.  An example:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tremor/Sculpture/badger/dscn0783.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tremor/Sculpture/badger/dscn0781.jpg

IMO, incandecents are fine as long as your camera's white balance can handle it.
Use a manual white balance reading if you have to.  As long as there is no
interfering sunlight or other light color type, the images should be fine.

-jHk