 Publishing / Photography / 237
Re: Natural Lighting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:26:29 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, John Henry Kruer wrote:
   Hello, all. I’ve been experimenting with natural lighting today in the bright Florida sun. I’ve got very good results, much better then with artificial lighting.

snip http://creations.jhkruer.com/models/nightshadow/ns.jpg

I have two questions for you’all. Firstly, what do you guys do with shadows? I get strong shadows at lower elevations. Does the time of day effect the shadow layout?

And secondly, what do you do with BIG mocs? Do you just hual around big sheets of posterboard? Don’t get things hot out there?

Thanks. I’m always interested in photography...

hey john.

not that i’m all that good in either photography or lego photography, but i do know that time of day has everything to do with shadow effects. usually, early in the morning or late in the day gives the “best” soft lighting. hence the phrase ‘the magic hour’, because of the hour where light is perfect.

if you think from a physics point of view, think how the light is traveling to you, either directly from above, so very little atmosphere, or from the horizon, where it has more atmosphere to travel through. (this is also why day sky is blue and evening sky is reddish).

as for big mocs, my theory (untested - will be when i complete the Kalashnikov), is to get a white sheet and drape it. the chief problem will be to keep wrinkles away, but I think a dowel rod to keep one side straight will help. of course, i’ll write more when i try this myself.

-Jr.Mar.Hoffman