 Publishing / Photography / 230
Re: taking good photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 23:17:00 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, Steve Barile writes:
If you don't have alternative flash solutions there's a trick, put a small
piece a transparent (Scotch) tape over the flash lens, it acts as a little
diffuser and cost ~$0.000001.

     I tried using thick white paper tape over my flash...and all I got was
a blurry large glare spot where previously I'd been getting a crisp large
glare spot.  The problem is not so much in the quality of light as it is in
the direction.  If the lightsource is located right next to the shutter, any
forward-facing surfaces are going to turn into giant white spots in your
image.  The greater the overall area of the lightsource, the less noticable
any glare spots will be.  This is why professional photographers use white
screens to bounce the light back at the subject, as it scatters the light
all over the place from a lot of different directions instead of dumping a
concentrated beam straight at the subject.  This is also why cloudy days
result in less shadows than sunny days.