 Publishing / 662
Re: Cookie from banner GIF
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:53:31 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Todd Lehman writes:

At least one, perhaps two, of the geocities banners on this page:

  http://www.lugnet.com/cool/banners/

is trying to send a cookie each time the banner is loaded -- bad bad bad.
Can't have the CLSotW page sending cookies out to people like that.  :-(

I have to figure out which images are doing it so that I can remove them
(and/or ask the owner to fix them so they no longer send cookies).  It
doesn't look like all the geocities banners send cookies -- only some.

How can I easily figure out which ones are doing it?  I have a hunch they're
from Jeremy's banners because those two show up as broken links when I
reject the cookies one by one manually.

Cookies are a Good Thing, but servers should *only* send them when the user
has explicitly asked for one.  Any other use of cookies is Evil.  >%^E  When
the banners were added originally, they didn't used to do this.

--Todd

Hmm...  has this only happened since the Yahoo - Geicities merge?  Any problem
with my banners?