 Publishing / 4959
Re: Lugnet 10th (was: Happy 5th Birthday, MOCpages!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2008 00:32:06 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I think LUGNET celebrates 10 this year, anyone know when?).

Depends on what date you want to use. The Lugnet Master Plan was published November 26, 1997. Current post #1 in lugnet.general is from September 28, 1998. I don’t remember if the “Welcome to” and “Terms of Use” posts date all the way back to the first public announcement or not. I also don’t remember for sure if lugnet.general was one of the initial groups or not. I’m pretty sure it is.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced the beta-test posts made before the doors opened to the public; those would help tie down the dates more precisely.

I guess I’d go with the September 28 date, since it is the “public opening”. Unless someone remembers more precisely.

Further muddying the waters, the Internet Archive’s oldest record of Lugnet is from June 11, 1998 - but that entry is just an empty directory. The entry from December 12, 1998 is interesting - it lists several dates of first activities, starting from April 11, 1998. And it lists the public opening of discussion groups as October 4, 1998.

Steve