 Publishing / 4948
4947  |  4949
Subject:
MOC Logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:21:51 GMT

Hello everybody,
I'd like to find out whether anybody has ever created a general "Logo
for LEGO MOCs"? I am thinking of a symbol which looks like the official
LEGO logo, but instead of the letters "LEGO" features the letters "MOC"
or "LMOC" or anything like this.

The background is as follows: As quite some other MOC builders, I like
imagining what my MOCs might look like if they were actual sets, i.e.
in a box (as seen occasionally on MOCpages and Brickshelf).
Now, even though TLC tends to be quite benevolent towards fans, in
these days you always risk being sued when using something like a
company's logo on the internet, even if it is meant to praise the owner.
By using something which has the same design as the official LEGO logo,
just with different letters on a MOC box, a malevolent company could of
course still sue you, but TLC wouldn't have to fear that customers
might take these as official LEGO sets, while it would still be close
enough to the look of official LEGO boxes that we MOC builders could be
proud of having designed an actual (unofficial) set :-)

So, has anyone ever had the same thoughts and prepared such a logo; or
is anyone willing to do one? Any ideas whether/how to modify the SYSTEM
logo so it cannot be confused with the official LEGO SYSTEM logo, yet
looks somewhat genuine? (The classic "LEGOLAND" could be transformed
into "MOCLAND".)

Or would these suggestions possibly wreak more legal trouble than any
MOC box lookalike which uses the official LEGO logos and a tiny
additional text along the lines of "This is not an official LEGO set."?

Hoping for answers, thanks in advance and happy MOC building :-)
Florian