 Publishing / 488
Re: Something to think about
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 05:35:49 GMT

On Thu, 27 May 1999 01:25:17 GMT, Tim Culberson <timcc@geocities.com> wrote:

So I'm going through the various banners on Cool Lego Site of the Week
today, and I'm thinking...

What I'm thinking is, if I ever get around to creating that Lego web
page that I've been wanting to for the past 4 years, it would be kinda
neat to be able to place a chunk of code into say my index page, and
have the banners randomly displayed the same way that they are on the
CLSOTW page.

Now, obviously, I don't understand how the random banner displays work,
so I don't even know if this would be possible, but I figured that it's
a thought.  I also realize that there may be possible legal issues
(doesn't everything have legal issues?), and that it could cause a
strain on Todd's server, but whadya think?

Just a thought,
-Tim Culberson

I don't know about the legal ramifications, but I do know one thing;
the banners on display there are not hosted on Todd's server.  Each banner file
is on a remote server.  Todd just links the banner-rotator gizmo to them.  So
(assuming it is expressly allowed to do so) you could simply have a duplicate
gizmo on your server to do the same thing.  So straining his server is not a
issue.

-- Terry K --