 Publishing / 471
Re: Random text on a website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 19:16:04 GMT

My guess is this won't work for Ed as he uses AOL.  Not to mention the
fact that many places won't let you submit cron jobs.

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Ed Jones (edboxer@aol.com) wrote:
I have a file of quotes (an HTML Table) that I want to use on one of my
webpages.  However, I want only one quote to display randomly when a page is
accessed.  Anyone have a Java or other applet for this they could share?

What about using SSI[1] or something like that to include a
file with the quote, and then update the file one an hour
with a cron job?

You could also let the cron job put together the actual page
people download if you don't want to use SSI.

Here's how I would implement it:

--  Script to update page with quote.
--
--  Quotes are stored in files named:
--    quote/1

   #!/bin/tcsh

   set last_quote=`cat quote_index`

   set new_quote=`awk "BEGIN{ print $last_quote + 1 }"`
   if ( ! -e quotes/$new_quote ) set new_quote=1

   cat page.before_quote quotes/$new_quote page.after_quote > page.html

   echo $new_quote > quote_index
--  Crontab entry:

*  0  * * * /home/boxer/bin/update_quote

Play well,

Jacob

1) SSI = Server Side Includes

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --