 Publishing / 3858
Re: Suggestions wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:44:37 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Steven Lane writes:
What..... actually type filenames in? by hand!!!

You bet ;-)

No, it's really easy. Like I said, I made a template page and just reuse it.
It's easy for me to do this, as it's just a bunch of code. Once you learn to
read it, you "see" the website before it's published (or just viewed in your
browser).

However, my method works for me because I only do simple pages. Anything
more than tables and text would be much more work.

You have no idea how lazy I am :-). Actually many times the manual method
would have been a lot quicker. I've spent hours in the past persisting with
the "simplified" method where the software does it all for you.

If the software actually worked it would only take five minutes, but it's
overly complicated, constantly crashing or simply refuses to work.

I know. I've seen other people use Frontpage. It's terrible. It's always
screwing up a link or an image, or refusing to upload certain files. It
seems like it's full of bugs.

The other thing I don't like is all the garbage it spits out in the HTML
code. If you look at a source HTML file that Frontpage cranks out, it's
loaded with all kinds of stuff I don't recognize. And who knows how
compatible it is with other browsers?

Again, this is my opinion based against my own needs. If I made a simple
webpage (like the ones on my site) with FP, the HTML file may be 3 times the
size of the simple file I make the hard way with Notepad.

I find the hardest thing about making a website is creating and editing the
images. I use Photoshop and also MS Photo Editor.

Thats the easy part.

I dunno 'bout that. I speak from my own experience. It really is difficult
to photograph an object (i.e. LEGO MOC) and then present the images on a
webpage.

Well, I suppose it is easy. But if you want quality images that give a good
presentation of the model so that people can really "see" it without being
there in person, it's a challenge. And it takes some talent and experience.
IMO, of course ;-)

TJ