 Publishing / 3449
Re: Question About Fonts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:06:46 GMT

"Curt" <CommanderCurt@msn.com> writes:
Hi all,
I'm trying to make my site compatable with as many browsers and operating
systems as possible (along with eliminating the music), and I was had a
question about the Vixar ASCI font. Do most computers have it? I know that
with the current version of my site, most computers see my Westminister Font
as Times New Roman. So if anyone thinks they can be of help, please reply.

I've never heard of either of these.  This is why you specify the font
as a list, rather than just a single font.  For example, one font I
use a lot is Verdana, but it's only available on Win98 and newer.  So
I use "verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif" to cover all bases (Arial
is only on Windows; everywhere else Helvetica is the closest choice).

My advice is to find a commonly-available Windows font to use as a
second choice (one that comes with Windows, and has ever since 95),
but be sure to include choices that work on Mac and Linux/Unix as well
(such as Helvetica) if you want to avoid the dreaded Times/Roman
default.

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!