 Publishing / 30
Re: Publishing DAT files (was Re: B-Wing DAT file)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:54:49 GMT

"Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> writes:

How about if there were a group  lugnet.cad.dat  and it required that the
Followup-To field be set (to something else, usually lugnet.cad)?

--Todd

I think this is good.  I am poised to publish a Dat as soon as I here from
Moz about a rendering he is putting on his site for me.

This was my plan:

In Lugnet.robotics and Lugnet.build, I was going to post a commentary on the
model and a link to the rendering on Moz's page. I realized that not
everybody on these two groups would be familiar with .dat files, so I wasn't
going to include it.  I just mentioned that a .dat was available in
Lugnet.cad.

In Lugnet.cad I was going to place a similar commentary (a bit more LDraw
info) and paste the entire .dat file at the end.  The link to the rendering
would also be there.  On L-Cad, dats are usually pasted into a post along
with some commentary.  I think it is a somewhat different situation with
L-Cad, because of the relatively lower volume.  A dat will be posted (as an
example of the use of LDraw), but discussion of the model may not be
completely cad related.  Discussions of how "this or that piece was used",
or how "the forward guns move".  These aren't Cad related exactly, but we
(L-Cad list) are all interested, have seen the model, and the volume is such
that it is not annoying.  However I could see it being annoying to some one
who hasn't seen the model because they don't have LDraw, but are interested
in cad (that's gota be some form of a oxymoron?... the situation not the
person).

This brings up the question, should we discuss models in *.cad... models
that possibility not everyone has seen or can see?  Note: with L3P.exe there
really is no reason that renderings, for those that don't have LDraw, can't
be made.

Todd-- Should I now put a post in Lugnet.robotics, Lugnet.build and
Lugnet.cad commenting on the new model and stating that the .dat file in
Lugnet.cad.dat?  Links to a web pic will be for those who don't have LDraw
or LDraw lite.

Well, there's not lugnet.cad.dat group yet, so the closest thing would be
lugnet.cad -- certainly OK to post the DAT file there today.

The scripting for the followups is going to be simple to write, but will
need an hour or maybe more of extremely careful contained-testing before
installing it into the real system...  So it's not likely to be there until
tomorrow.  (Got other stuff to do right now besides coding.)  And I'd like
to get that followup stuff in place before creating the new group (assuming
a new group specially for DAT files is indeed created.)

Um, hmm, did I answer that OK?  Yes, go ahead with what you wanted to do, if
you don't mind posting the DAT file to the .cad newsgroup knowing that there
might be a .cad.dat tomorrow...

--Todd