 Publishing / 23
Re: Publishing DAT files (was Re: B-Wing DAT file)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:42:38 GMT

sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess....) writes:

I would prefer a separate group for .DAT files (except, note, you are
already breaking your rule about no images anywhere by doing this)

Hmm, I'm wondering...

What if it were "OK and acceptable" to post .DAT files in any group, as long
as they were accompanied by commentary?  I can see them being useful in a
discussion of castles, or space ships, or other areas where someone might
not want to have to send people on a wild goose chase into a dedicated group
just for one or two odd models once in a while...

On the other hand, if someone wanted to discuss a train they'd modeled in
LDraw, and discuss it in a purely trains context, they could always post the
model to the dat group, then post the URL of the web page to the trains
group, accompanied by commentary.

Hmm.

Although DAT files are going to be annoying in non-DAT groups, my question
is, how natural is it for people to write a paragraph or two about their
creation above the data?  If they do that, the DAT data won't be annoying
(right?)...  It seems to me like it'd be natural, and netiquette too.  Hmm.

How do these things work on the L-CAD mailing list?  Do people trade DAT
files there often and with commentary?

--Todd