 Publishing / 21
Re: Publishing DAT files (was Re: B-Wing DAT file)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:49:15 GMT

sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess....) writes:

Could also be easy enough to have the web-interface display script have a
clickie for displaying it as a MIME .dat.  Not much work at all.
Probably would want a special  lugnet.cad.dat  group though.

I would prefer a separate group for .DAT files (except, note, you are
already breaking your rule about no images anywhere by doing this)

Hmm, I wonder why they seem different to me than images...  (hmm)

I guess because they're not binaries.

The rule was "no binaries," not "no images."

And the whole LCAD thing needs as much support as it can get, IMHO...  It's
the greatest collaborative project ever, and will always be better than
something coming from TLG.  :)

Then I could continue to read lugnet.cad without having to worry about
skipping over files with long strings of random text that does not
make a bit of sense to me :)

I would definitely ask that these not be placed in lugnet.publish.
Why? Selfish reasons. I could get rid of lugnet.cad pretty easy from
my list of groups read but I would really rather not have to get rid
of lugnet.publish because it is more likely to have things I am
interested in reading. But if it were swamped with .dat files than I
would feel it necessary to do so because  I don't use LCAd or LDLite
or whatever it is these go to.

Right-o!  This ng is definitely *not* appropriate for .DAT files...  It's
not a data group...it's a discussion group.

I would *love* to create a lugnet.cad.ldraw-dat or lugnet.cad.dat group, but
I'm hypersensitive about having "too many groups" in the non-loc section...
need more feedback first...and we all need to agree that -if- there were a
special group for posting LDraw .dat files to, that people would -not-
crosspost to it to lugnet.cad.

--Todd