 Publishing / 16
Re: Publishing DAT files (was Re: B-Wing DAT file)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:25:37 GMT

lehman@javanet.com writes:
Paul Gyugyi <paul@gyugyi.com> writes:

To put this thread back on charter, what is the best way to
publish Ldraw .dat files?   On my system, I have associated
.dat files with the program ldlite and with the mime type of
"application/x-ldraw".  If someone posted a .dat file with
that mime type, I *think* that when I read the article then
ldlite would pop up semi-automatically, which would be
really cool.  For those of you with perhaps more experience
doing the MIME thing with enclosures and all that, does this
sound like a good idea?

Neat idea! -- (Except all MIME posts are rejected by this newsserver...)

Alternatively, would it be useful if there were a special area on the www part
of the server for uploading .dat files, and having it index them and serve
them back as "application/x-ldraw"?

Er, waitaminute -- I take it back -- I wrote that code which rejects MIME
messages, and -- duh -- it'd be easy to let it allow in "application/x-
ldraw" while still rejecting other MIME types.

Does the MIME'ing of these convert the .dat file into binary gobs of
gooey ASCII blocks, or are they still readable as normal .dat files?

Could also be easy enough to have the web-interface display script have a
clickie for displaying it as a MIME .dat.  Not much work at all.
Probably would want a special  lugnet.cad.dat  group though.

--Todd