 Publishing / 1320
Re: Help with Free Webspace TOS agreements and Copyrights
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 16:04:00 GMT

I don't even pretend to play a lawyer on TV, ok?

Richard Marchetti wrote:

Seems like all they want is to be able to promote the services they provide by
using one's published material as long as one is a member.

That's my read. These are modified from what they were a while back,
there was a major uproar about the way they read at the time. The
reading seemed to make much more sweeping claims. IIRC there was even a
boycott and a "black site day" at GeoCities. Can't say if that did it,
or what, but the current version of the G/Y agreement came out shortly
thereafter, and Xoom (which, lets face it, is a clone in second place)
followed suit.

I guess I am
cynical enough to worry that they somehow also want/have the right to publish
the work in a more copyright abusive manner.  For example in a book or
something, like "Best Of Yahoo" or "Best of Xoom."  On its face it looks like
they could do this.  But could they also just publish a book on the lego sites
they host and use my material?  See what I mean?  Has this ever happened?

Yes I think they could do that. seems farfetched, though. You MIGHT see
your content in Yahoo Internet Life without comp. But that's not
necessarily a bad thing...

Are these deals with the devil?

Free advice: Don't put anything on these sites that you really really
want to protect the IP of. Get a paid site for that where you don't even
grant promotional rights. But no, these actually are a great deal for
you. I wouldn't worry too much.