 Publishing / 1246
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 05:37:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, "onyx" <onyx@flash.net> writes:
[...]
you and i both believe in "stick to your guns", make your decision and stand
behind it... i didn't like that Huw was seemingly forced into action that was
not of his own accord

Whoa, time out -- hang on a min' here...

What Suzanne wrote* was:

  "As a truly good intentioned LEGO enthusiast, I am asking you to remove
   these illegal scans from internet publication and also [for you to] ask
   Todd to delete your previous post.  This is in response to my desire to
   keep the delicate relationship between adult online enthusiasts and the
   LEGO Company intact.  It also is protective of smaller retailers and of
   the LEGO Company itself.  I could go into a discussion of why what you
   have done is against the interest of the company, but I'll save it --
   assuming you agree with the above."

and at the bottom wrote:

  "These words are my own and in no way represent the position of MIT Media
   Lab."

So I don't see how you figure that Huw was "forced into action" . . . . ?

Note that Suzanne was posting her own opinion on her own behalf as a good-
intentioned LEGO fan, and perhaps she forgot to add explicitly that she
wasn't representing the position of LUGNET, but I figured that was obvious
since she posted from an @media.mit.edu address, not a @lugnet.com address.
Technically, also, I don't think she really even can represent the position
of LUGNET while she's still in school at the Lab.

Now, *I* never asked Huw to take his scans down -- I merely pointed out to
him that I thought it made us as a LEGO community look bad (in my opinion)
to have scans of that type up (especially so early).

Let's be clear here:  Huw can do as he pleases.  That's the official LUGNET
word.  (I'm posting this from a @lugnet.com address.)  My personal opinion
and Suzanne's personal opinion are our own, and while we understand that
they may be odd or extreme compared to most opinions, they still shouldn't
be taken as strong-arming anyone into action one way or the other. Nothing's
gonna happen to Huw (vis-a-vis LUGNET) if he decides to put the scans back
up...it's his choice.  And nothing would have happened to him if he hadn't
taken them down.

Oh dear, I'm getting tired of this.  That's a first for me.  :-)

--Todd

* I added "[for you to]" to the quotation to resolve the ambiguity.

[followups to lugnet.admin.general]