 Promotional / 148
147  |  149
Subject:
A little more info on McDonald's sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:57:04 GMT

Ok.  I did a little badmouthing of McD's before, so I'm posting this partially
as penance.

I went by McD's a few days ago (Saturday, to be specific) and went about the
task of attempting to buy some of the sets.  I noted that this McD's (which is
not the one I mentioned having gone to before) had a display of the sets up,
the statue of Ronald, and the box for entries to win.  I noted that on the case
the sets were listed as being a whopping $1.77 each, and a limit of ten per
menu item.  So I got in line and picked a couple of menu items (I didn't want
to order whole Happy Meals and waste food) and asked which sets they had.  The
guy (a manager) told me they only had one set currently, so I asked for ten of
them.  He counted them out while they made my order, and I noticed that the set
I was getting was set number 2.  I asked if I had missed set one, or they
hadn't come in yet, or what.  He looked perplexed and said they *might* have
come in, and he just didn't know it... he said they only open one case at a
time and give out those until they run out.  He then *volunteered* to head down
and see if they had another set.  And, in fact, they did have set #1 in the
basement.  I asked for 10 of those, as well.  He then let me know they were
expecting the new ones in on Tuesday (ie, today).

If I can assemble complete sets, I will be selling off extra ones.  However, as
other people have noted (and like I've said before), this is tricky and I don't
want to make promises I can't keep, so I won't be saying anything about what I
have available until I have it all done.

What I *do* find interesting, though, is this:

As other people have mentioned before, this depiction of Ronald and his friends
has only shown up in the States as a pair of holiday videos.  This style isn't
used on anything else in the US that I'm aware of.  However, I was in a McD's
in versailles waiting for a train in April, and I noticed that this style of
drawing the characters was used on pretty much everything.  In addition, there
are a couple of characters I'm unfamilar with in the mix- set #2, for instance,
features "Sundae" (a dog of some kind), and, uh, there's one other set that has
a character I didn't recognise either.  Now, I don't exactly follow McD's
marketing with a fanatic's attention, but I find it unlikely that they could
have so completely have passed under my radar.  Is it possible these sets were
originally to be released in Europe, or might yet be?  It might explain why
they were apparently complete made in Denmark, then shipped over.

Can any European McDonald's consumer add to this?  Are these really the style
of the McD's mascots over there, or did I get the wrong impression?

eric