 Promotional / 1008
Re: New Belville promo polybag
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo, lugnet.basic, lugnet.belville, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:30:18 GMT

In lugnet.promo, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
   I haven’t seen it for real yet, but on http://www.c1000.nl I saw the following image of a Bionicle figure unknown to me:

Maybe someone else has any insight about this one?

He’s Hewkii, a revised version of Huki:

    1388 Huki {McDonald's Promo Set #1}
8 elements, 0 figures, US$2, 2001
LEGO > TECHNIC > BIONICLE > Promotional > McDonald's

The storyline explanation is that the Matoran villagers did a great job helping to fight off the Rahi, Bohrok, and Bohrok Va, so the Turaga rewarded them by making them bigger. And they gave them new names.

The more logical real-life explanation is that the McToran design was too restrictive for the upcoming Mask of Light movie, so they redesigned it to be more posable. Evidentally they’d wanted to make the original villager models more articulated than they were, but they had a piece-count restriction to meet for the Happy Meal promo, so it didn’t happen. Now, however, they’re releasing them to regular retail, so piece-counts are more flexible. I have no idea why they decided to start changing the names as well, since I don’t think any of them are borrowed from existing languages.