 Pirates / 694
693  |  695
Subject:
Unacknowledged sources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 13:43:22 GMT

So I'm roaming about the net, as one is wont to do, and I stumble upon this

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/taylornm/pugwash.htm

It seems to me, bearing in mind the sort of tales I like to tell at Port
Block, that Pugwash ought to be cited as a key source.  There seem to me to
be definite resonances.  Entirely unconscious, but there nonetheless.  And
the pictures of sailing ships seem so 'right' to me, despite my conscious
railing about the inaccuracies, that I have a suspicion that much of my
pirate fun might be attributable to this too.

Shocking, is it not ;-)

And I was gratified to discover that Master Bates, Seaman Steynes, and Roger
the Cabin Boy were not in evidence.  It turns out that these fellows are
indeed of dubious origin, and only joined the Black Pig *after* the series
went off air.

I've got to make some enquiries, but I wouldn't be surprised if the shanty
started showing up at Port Block somehow :-)

Did the Americans get to see this show, or was it limited to the Empire?

Regards

Richard
Still baldly going...
Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/