 Pirates / 495 (-5)
  Re: John E. Doolittle

(...) Heh. Yeah, I guess it's a lot different when you can fire more-or-less from all directions... Dave! (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: John E. Doolittle

(...) He (...) The tactic does still hold with turret mounted guns, the enemy can still only bear a fraction of his firepower, while you can use all of yours. Missiles on the other hand negate that advantage entirely. (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: John E. Doolittle

(...) three (...) Here ya go 7 a : a division of the log's line serving to measure a ship's speed b (1) : one nautical mile per hour (2) : one nautical mile -- not used technically They would measure the ship's speed by dropping a piece of wood (the (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: John E. Doolittle

(...) three (...) Webster's Dictionary says: <quote> In nautical usage knot is a unit of speed, not of distance, and has a built-in meaning of “per hour.” Therefore, a ship would strictly be said to travel at ten knots (not ten knots per hour). (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: John E. Doolittle

(...) I think I read or saw somewhere that this same tactic was used in WWII (Battle of Midway, maybe?). It's cool (insofar as war is cool) that such venerable methods still see use in more modern times. Dave! (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.pirates)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact