 Pirates / 4511
Re: The L’Administraeur Rouge (a two decked brig in Port Brique!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:32:40 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Ted Godwin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:

Is it just me or is there a set of rigging missing from the masts between the lower and upper platforms? (Sorry proper terminology unkown.)

Yes and no. That pic of l’Administrateur shows something missing - because that’s a view where the (upper) ratlines would normally be highlighted against the sails. There is definitely space to run long ratlines to the upper platforms. An upper platform of this size wouldn’t generally be present on a rig like this, but there should be ratlines (the rigging which is missing) going further up the mast from the fighting tops (the lower platforms), probably to the height of the erroneous platforms). But using the Lego ratlines tends to interfere with the posability of the sails.

So, on my last two vessels, l’Administrateur Rouge and the whaling brig Egregious, I’ve elected to use ratlines (and short ratlines at that) only as far aloft as the fighting tops, so I can set the sails for sailing other than running before the wind.

There are other ways around this, of course, such as mounting the yardarms further forward of the masts, or even simply locating the yardarms where they won’t be interefered with by the yardarms, but this is the simplest way, particularly at this scale and size.

   In general however this ship is magnificent!

Thanks!

Richie Dulin