 Pirates / 4212
4211  |  4213
Subject:
The Fighting Iron-Top {Monsoon}
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:07:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well it’s my lunch break so it thought I would introduce my Sunday afternoon project the Fighting Iron-top Monsoon :

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/Monsoon/monsoon_002.jpg

I know this strays fairly far into the realm of phantasy. Move the thread if it’s wandering out of place.

Please critique for what it is.

The Monsoon is meant to be the first Imperial armored steamer. The paddle wheel is housed internally (there is actually a housing for it inside so I know where I can put other stuff) you can see there is a raised section on the upper deck to protect it.

I was inspired to make this after seeing Stephen Gabriel’s Paddle Wheeler on his Pirate Gaming page.

The Monsoon started as an idea in my mind a sort of hybrid between an early Union iron-clad like the Monitor and Captain Nemo’s Nautilus (of which Stephen Gabriel also has a very nice rendition). At first, it was only the size of launch but as I built it just kept getting larger and larger until I could not avoid using standard ship parts.

I am pleased with what emerged but its still not quite done. It needs interior details all that’s in there now is the paddle wheel housing and the cannon. And speaking of cannon, I still need to add at least two more to make it a finished product.

As a note, the crew goes in and out through a hatch inside the conning tower (in which an observer sits while underway and tells the helm and engine crew below where to go) making the ship impossible to board.

Links to the photos:

Bow: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/Monsoon/monsoon_007.jpg

Stern:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/oranges/Monsoon/monsoon_005.jpg