 Pirates / 4069
4068  |  4070
Subject:
HMLS NonSnottler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:06:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

There’s nothing like a visit to a maritime museum to inspire some building, the .pirate stuff will take longer to realise, but this little vessel came together quite quickly.

You may remember my earlier 20th century naval vessels of the Snottler line. Snot however, no longer has the novelty it once did, so I present:

The HMLS NonSnottler

The bow is modern, midships and aft are older. I’d intended to build a more modern vessel, but got carried away with the WWII (or earlier?) style.

Also, it started out as minifig scale, but ended up not:

So it’s all a bit of a jumble, really.

Some of the things I’m pleased with are the aft hull taper (it goes from 7 studs amidships to 6 studs at the stern, just through bending - and the use of a few tiles to make the deck work), the depth charge racks (1x1 rounds as depth charges are definitely not minifig scale, though) and the torpedos (again, not to minifig scale).

The astute viewer will note that, despite the NonSnottler name, the vessel does incorporate some SNOT construction.

I’m not impressed with the staggered bow construction, I don’t think it works at this scale (seven wide). Also for an authentic period bow, it would need to be constructed with steep inverse slopes (if not just straight up and down), which I think would exaggerate the stagger even more.

I’m tempted to rebuild the bow in snot, which should produce a nice curve, and give a more believable verticle profile.

Cheers

Richie Dulin