 Pirates / 3843
Re: Introducing Myself, and My Ships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:02:42 GMT

Morten Soerensen's Denmark-Based bricks4you.com™ BULK store.

<http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=torquay>

He had 700 red/white striped pirate torso assemblies that came with the
original heads. I bought them and 700 pants of medium blue, sand green, and
sand red, to make 700 new pirates. Now all I need is
hat-rags...unfortunately they're nearly as expensive as the price I got the
pirates for.

The store has great deals and was having an awesome sale (that saved me 25%)
so I went for it while I could. I think all the normal pants have been
bought already, though. I know I bought all the pirates already. You've got
to want mass quantities, though, because the minimum order is $100.

(And for those of you wondering where I got the money to buy this stuff,
remember, I just got back form a year in a tax-free combat zone. I can
afford to spend a cool grand on Lego ships (which I now have, probably). I
love my LEGO.

My ESPG is going to have to have modified weapon rules, that the weapons
don't come with the figs (I don't have enough to go around), but rather the
organization (for example, the Imperials will have all the revolvers and
rifles, and each pirate faction will have a portion of the muskets and
pistols). You might note that my Imperials actually outnumber the pirates in
my Lego realm--remember those striped-shirt guys hanging out at my town bar
are "sailors"--they're not "pirates" until they get a ship and start
stealing gold from the merchants!

As for the Imperials, I've got around 100 bluecoats and 6 redcoats. This
creates somewhat of a dilemma, being as a large portion of my ships are run
by the bluecoats. The ESPG rules aren't designed for them, because they're
generally NPCs. I was thinking of letting players run them too.

My main difficulty in making progress on my ships is lack of parts. I know
what I want, but have to wait for those parts to arrive from bricklink. I
always seem to forget or run out of some vital piece that holds up
construction. Arrrgh.

One thing I'd like you guys to ponder and play with, for shipbuilding, is
tiling the insides of your cargo storage compartments on the 6285-type
ships. I've found that putting in the four 1x4 and four 1x1 tiles needed
really helps in retrieving small items dropped in them (like revolvers or
gold coins or gems). The compartments have to be sectioned off, though. I
made walls with 1x? pieces for this purpose, giving the class seven ships 6
center comparments, 2 of which are under the masts and accessed through the
cannon area, the other 4 through the deck. There's also a front and rear
area that I usually seal off. You can usually fit four minifigs in the
front.

Another technique I found useful is to lengthen the compartments and use 6 x
8 trap door plates instead of the 6285's hinge mechanism. The trap door is
supported by a 1x1 plate and 1 x 1 tile (together) which will rest on the
piece of hull that protrudes in one corner of the trap door's area. This
works great! Especially if you have a bunch of trap doors laying around, or
are short on "Car Roof" hinges or 4x4 plates.

If you look at the picture, you can see I've stuck ladders on my top spars.
It gives more room to hang on to, plus lets the figs climp up onto the
spars. I don't see how they would otherwise. Studs-up spars are great. Not
just for figs, but for the occasional cat, too! (the figurehead pic of the
ISS Advantage shows one such cat in the rigging).

I think it was you, Clangador, who said the bold phrase "One ship a week."
I don't know if that's really feasible in the long term, but for now I will
try for at least one ship a week, too! Heck, everyone ought to try, lol. I'm
seeing some beautiful ships lately! You guys are great.

-Wes

In lugnet.pirates, Wesley Davis wrote:
As a side note, I just bought 700 new pirates, so the town is going to • be
REALLY crowded soon. Once my ships are all completed, I will attempt to • run
the ESPG with some local friends of mine. Arrrr!!

Holy cow! Where did you find 700 pirates for sale? or did you buy them from
whole bunch of different places?

Nice ships, by the way.

-Clangador