 Pirates / 3713
3712  |  3714
Subject:
Pirate Gaming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 01:27:54 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking for years now, this is the first time I had something
interesting to put up.  I'm president of the SGC (Strategic Gaming Command) at
my university and I ran a little game of Evil Stvie's Pirate Game today.  We
used a mix of that and the combat system from Mike Rayhak's Quikwars
hopefully neither of these guys mind me mashing there systems together for an
afternoons fun.

Pics:

<http://www.stfx.ca/people/x2001/x2001nco/102_4932.JPG> Left to right Colin
Webbster and me.

<http://www.stfx.ca/people/x2001/x2001nco/102_4930.JPG> The Imperial Officer
Webbster captured and made row a boat, eventually a sawfish ate him.

<http://www.stfx.ca/people/x2001/x2001nco/102_4928.JPG> Webbster's rat infested
pincer boat from the fore.

<http://www.stfx.ca/people/x2001/x2001nco/102_4920.JPG> Colin's cross dressing
Captain Tranny.

<http://www.stfx.ca/people/x2001/x2001nco/102_4923.JPG> Panorama, most of Dwayne
in the back and Mikes leg off to the right. I built the yellow and blue cutter
at the bottom, what d'you guys think?

<http://www.stfx.ca/people/x2001/x2001nco/102_4919.JPG> Colin scopes out the
defenses on Ben's fort.

<http://www.stfx.ca/people/x2001/x2001nco/102_4938.JPG> Ben's Imperial... thing.

<http://www.stfx.ca/people/x2001/x2001nco/102_4940.JPG> After my final battle
with Dwayne, my Chieftain lies wounded but his Captain was captured.

cutters was great. It only took us 5 hours including set up time.  Much hilarity
ensued.  Problems were minimal but there were a few. There was very little
consensus on any victory as we didn't set much in the way of victory conditions.
That didn't seem to matter much.  One actual problems was that the pirates just
teamed up to prey on Imperials, we'll need a rule to prevent long term pirate
alliances next time, scarcer gold might do it.  What worked well was having a
lot of Imperial Trade ships that always had to be sailing form one port to
another and never stopping, the Imperial player directed them. Also good was
making opposed dice roles to determine the winner of rules disputes.  The best
thing we did though was to make captains immortal to stop player elimination.
Captains became knocked out instead of dying and had the chance to be wounded
and loose a hand or a leg. I had expected to have problems with not having
enough junk built but it didn't seem to matter, the guys snapped some ugly stuff
together really quick and the gameplay, while less scenic was still awesome.

-Patrick McLane