 Pirates / 3624
3623  |  3625
Subject:
Pirates and the next LEGO Legend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:18:19 GMT

Ok, so I have my first job, and my first paycheck came last month.  Unlike
most teenagers, my first thought was not a car, stereo, or girl (actually,
that was my second thought, but that's not relevant) but "Wow!  I can
finally get the Black Seas Barracuda!"

Let me explain.  My introduction to the Pirate line was waaaaaaaaaay back in
1990 when my grandmother (bless her!) bought me the Castaway's Raft.  I was
a huge LEGO fan at the time, and also quite the pirate fan, but I'd had no
idea that LEGO made Pirate sets.  With my two greatest interests combined, I
was in heaven.  I remember that my sister lost the treasure map, and we
spent the next hour cleaning up the playroom to find the thing.  :)

Of course, to have a really great pirate adventure, you need a pirate ship.
But for years, the Raft was the largest...  Well, floaty thing in my fleet.
The big ships were too expensive.  So I basically spent years drooling over
Black Seas Barracuda in catalogs, hoping that one day, I'd be able to get
one.  Heck, I would've settled for *looking* at one, but none of my friends
had the set.  Eventually I got the Renegade Runner, and that was pretty
cool, but it just wasn't the same.  When the Red Beard Runner came out and
both the BSB and the Skull's Eye Schooner had been discontinued, I lost hope
of ever being able to get a "real" pirate ship.  (The RBR just doesn't cut
it.)

But then, last year, LEGO had us vote on the next Legends set!  And one of
the choices was the BSB!  "Yipee!" I thought.  You can probably guess which
set I voted for.  :)

So when I finally got a job, there was no doubt as to what I'd buy first.
(Don't worry, I'm saving most of my money, but I just had to treat myself.)
The BSB lived up to all my expectations, and holds a place of honor in my
bedroom (much to the annoyance of my younger brother, who has to drag the
ship back into the playroom whenever he wants to play with the BSB and the
rest of the Pirate ships.)

Anyway, now that I finally have my dream set...  I want more.  ;)  There's
been no word on what the next Legends set will be, but I think it should be
a Pirate set.  Of course, I'm biased.  LEGO has already done most of the
Legend choices they had us vote on last year, with the exception of the 6941
Battrax and the 375 Castle.  Now, the Space fans have been very patient, and
they certainly deserve a Legend, so I guess that the Battrax would make a
good Legend.  But, darn it, Castle already *has* two Legends!  I think that
we Pirate fans need another set after the Space people get theirs.  The
question is: which one?

My top three would be the Caribbean Clipper, the Imperial Trading Post, and
the Rock Island Refuge.  (In that order.)  The nostalgia factor is big where
the Clipper is concerned.  I also want a ship of similar vintage for the BSB
to battle.  The Imperial Trading Post is probably the second best set in the
Pirate line, right after the BSB...  I've always wanted that mini ship, and
the combination fort/dock design is just too cool.  The Rock Island Refuge
is just my favorite pirate base, and it'd go great with the BSB.

Of course, there are so many cool pirate sets.  The Eldorado Fortress is
obviously a legend, it just can't compete with it's sister set, the ITP.
The SES is another good choice, although I'd like to see some non-pirate
ship sets first.  And then there are the smaller bases...  The Skull Island
and Imperial Outpost sets are both pretty cool.  What do you all think?

Adrick