 Pirates / 3487
Re: Chinese Taxi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:26:07 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Dean R. Hennen wrote:
   You will find lots of these taxis in China and the places. What I really wanted to make was an Indonesian Bechak, a wheeled carriage just like this one with a bicyclist on the behind the passenger who drives it instead of someone in front.

So why didn’t you? There are LEGO minifig bicycles, and while it might be a bit tricky to attach a carriage to the front of it, I’m sure it can be done.

   Alas, I do not know what the name of this is,

I believe the term you’re looking for is “rickshaw”. Older designs are hand-pulled, but newer ones have been built to ride behind a bicycle like a trailer. Both styles are apparently still in common use in Calcutta, India.

   but it was fun to build.

That’s always the most important part.

   PLMKWYT!!!!

One unarmed rickshaw puller, one unarmed officer, and two guys lugging a big chest full of cash while only armed with weapons that require two hands to operate properly? I think someone needs to mug the heck out of those guys. There should be at least one more unoccupied bodyguard who isn’t preoccupied by getting a major workout. The rickshaw design is fairly simple, which is entirely appropriate, but it works. I think it would make more sense, though, for the puller to be in front of the horse-mount and holding the ends of the handles instead of being on the inside. The farther forward you hold the handles, the greater the leverage you can exert on the rickshaw to keep it steady, and the less exhausting it will be for the person pulling it.