 Pirates / 3416
Re: Talk like a Pirate Day - 19 Sept
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:16:14 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Kerry Raymond wrote:
   Ahoy, maties! Shiver me timbers! 19 Sept is Talk Like a Pirate Day!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

What can I say but “Arrr!”?!

Or: “We decided then and there that what the world really needed was a new national holiday....”

Hmmmm something doesn’t seem quite right there....

My daughter went on a school excursion last term to the Australian National Maritime Museum, and came home proudly bearing an official ‘Certificate of Piracy’.

One can only wonder why five year old girls need to know how to conduct acts of piracy. From what I gather, they concentrated on booty, language and diet(1) rather than on rum drinking, rape, pillage and plunder but even so...

Cheers

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique

   Misérable
Building a safer South Pacifique

(1)
   Pirates apparently often existed on a diet of rat. Generally, the nose would be cut off (the rat, not the pirate), and then the rest chopped up and perhaps fried. Captains seemed to not have to eat rat - but it is not clear what they did get to eat.
It’s amazing what great father-daughter bonding you can have when you have a new Black Seas Barracuda to play with together. If only Hazel’d let me be the captain for once - I’m getting tired of the rat diet (2).

(2)
   We had to raid a few rats from the miscellaneous animal container. I am thankful for Harry Potter® sets!
My wife has expressly forbidden me to form meatloaf into rat-like shapes and bake them for dinner. :-(