 Pirates / 3369
Re: Shooting Cannons vs. Non-shooting - What's the story?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:41:15 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Neb Okla wrote:
I'm sure this has been discussed at length before (I've read some of the
posts and not found a conclusive answer).

From what I read in some posts from early January, Lego doesn't sell
shooting cannons in the US for liability reasons (something about a kid in
the 70's choking on a missile - which sounds like an urban legend to me).

I know for a fact that every Lego pirates set I have (I stopped getting them
around 1994) was purchased in the US and came with US catalogs - and they
all have shooting cannons.  Moreover, lots of toys have shooting cannons and
missile launchers.

So what's the deal?  Why did the shooting cannons stop shipping with Lego
sets at some point in time?  Did they switch in newer pirate sets, or did
they start shipping the non-shooters in continued runs of older sets as
well?

Lego still has projectiles - they all just got bigger (2x2 round, rubber tipped
Technic dart).  Apparently the 1x1 round was considered too likely to create an
eye injury or cause some other inadvertent accident.  Whether such an injury
ever happened, I couldn't say.  The popular reactionary thing is to say that you
should teach your child not to point the cannon at another child, but they
never, ever mention ricochets (which you don't see coming due to the small size
of the 1x1 round).

Lego switched to an intermediate cannon that simply had the spring removed
(recognized by it's black pull-back) - those can be made to shoot with a
click-type pen spring.  They then went to the one-piece style that doesn't
shoot, nor can it be easily modified to shoot.  Oddly, the later ships were
designed to have hands more easily access cannon to shoot them at a time when
the North American versions didn't shoot.

-->Bruce<--