 Pirates / 3208
3207  |  3209
Subject:
Shifty soldiers with dodgy shakos...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:50:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ahoy!

I've recently experimented with creating shakos out of sculpey. I am not
entirely displeased with the results, and I have a few ideas on how they
could be better produced.

What better way to showcase dodgy shakos, than to put them on Shifty brand
minifigs? Here's a pic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/shifty1.jpg

Left to right, the figs are
1. A shifty torso, with LEGO legs, arms, hands, epaulettes and head.
2. A complete shifty soldier (unfortunately, Shifty don't do epaulettes) you
can see that the left leg doesn't quite attach to the hip properly when the
feet are connected to studs.
3. Another completely shifty fig. I can't figure why they thought gold
printing on black would make a good soldier torso.... (maybe black arms
would improve it?)

All wear dodgy shakos hand made from sculpey.

The two red soldiers are carrying LEGO muskets (Shifty don't do muskets),
the black soldier is carrying a Shifty rifle, in black, which is pretty cool.

This pic, http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/shifty3.jpg,
shows the Shifty black soldier with a Shifty cannon. The cannon is a non
firing copy of a shooting cannon (ie it has no barrel decoration), and is
moulded in light grey (Shifty don't do dark grey, as far as I can see).
Other than the colour difference, the Shifty cannon looks like a LEGO one,
at least at arms length.

This pic, http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/PortBrique/shifty2.jpg,
gives a side view of the shako, a front view of the cannon, and an
indication of the dodgy nature of some Shifty components (look at the angle
of the wheels on the gun carriage).

There's a few Shifty types wandering around Port Brique at the moment, and
while they won't ever be as acceptable as the real thing, I wouldn't mind
acquiring a few more. Some of the Shifty minifig accessories are nice
(chrome swords, chrome pistols, light grey and black rifles etc).

If you choose to purchase Shifty sets, I'd recommend staying with the
smaller sets (which have a higher fig & fig accessory to brick ratio than
the larger ones). And don't pay too much for them.

Cheers

Richie Dulin