 Pirates / 2684
Re: Fleet Week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 13:33:55 GMT

That's the beauty of Lugnet. I didn't have a clue what I was taking a photo
of, but Lindsay did!

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  That's the Coast Guard training ship, U.S.S. Eagle, whose
  name is reserved for the USCG (thus why you'll see no Navy
  ships named that) after the War of 1812 in which a tiny Revenue
  Marine cutter named Eagle held off a British force for 24
  hours.  It is the USA's only class A tall ship; ironically
  it was a German tall ship used to train Kriegsmarine cadets
  (named Horst Wessel then), and it was captured and allocated
  to the USA as a war prize after the war.  So it's also almost
  70 years old!

  If you're interested in the ship, here's a link:

  http://www.uscg.mil/datasheet/wixtrain.htm