 Pirates / 2142
2141  |  2143
Subject:
Request for Pirate Game thoughts and Player/Ship/Captain names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 00:15:08 GMT

Before I write my big review of the game, I thought I'd again request
thoughts on the game. It would also be helpful for folks to post their
ship's and captain's names (I did get most of them off the board, but
the several folks who left early weren't up there any more). It would
also be helpful if you could point out in an already posted picture of
the game who you are so I can better connect you to your ship. Any
writeups of your ship's escapades would also be welcome.

A few very quick thoughts of my own:

- My schedule sucked. As a result, we didn't start until 3:00 PM or
somesuch on Saturday

- I was a little wiped out from my previous work schedule and driving up
late Friday and all. This contributed to slowing the game some.

- I was also less prepared than I should have been (which contributed to
the late start and slowing the game some).

- Again, I really should have had a 2nd GM. Next year I will listen to
that advice and not feel bad about a player not being able to play. I
will need to spend some pre-game planning time (some over the net) with
the chosen GM to compare enough gaming pholosophy and ideas about the
scenario islands (the large islands with something special going on on
them).

- We played about the same amount of time as last year but ran twice as
many turns. Factors included more familiarity with the rules (on both my
part and the players), fewer players, much more initiative from players
to resolve combat on their own, and a better environment (not getting
cooked by the sun and lack of AC, though I think it was still a bit on
the warm side). We were also able to leave clean up for Sunday.

- As a result of the longer game, four folks made it into port to sell
loot. One was able to buy a bigger ship and get it into play. Two hired
more crew. Another player put into play a captured ship.

- We didn't have enough ports, as a result, the player who put his
captured ship into play kept two ships in play because it was
prohibitive to sail to a safe port (the closest port was the one the
ship was heading too, not a good place to go, and the wind was
unfavorable for going anywhere else for a few turns).

- Again, I managed to make one scenario island way too tough. I need to
think more carefully about how hard to kill undead should be. Another
scenario island never got touched because no one wanted to tackle 20 or
30 islanders.

- I only got two merchant ships out, plus one player (well two players,
Larry Pieniazek took the ship over later) played an imperial ship (I
don't think this worked out too well, I won't have a player do that
again [it was his choice, I should have thought more about the impact of
that choice]). Larry did manage to take over a pirate base (well, not
quite, but he was one or two turns away from doing so, with no pirates
in sight for a rescue), but the base was probably under defended (bases
shouldn't be able to be taken over by the 10 crew of a starting ship).

Well, so much for "a few quick thoughts"...

FUT: lugnet.fun.gaming

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com